Four Reasons Why You Can't Forget Philanthropy

13

There are a lot of reasons why we all become Greek, but our founders wanted us to make the world a better place.

We like to tout social presence and academic prestige on campus because those things come naturally to Greeks -- we’re large groups of people and our bylaws require that we study. But when you make the pledge to your organization, philanthropy and community service are values that we commit to importance, as well. Here are a few reminders as to why you and your chapter should keep your philanthropic efforts ever at heart.

You signed up for it. I don't think there's a single organization that doesn't have philanthropy as one of it's key purposes. Running all the way back to the late 1700's, Greek organizations were founded with the intent to "promote good fellowship," including bettering the community. By making the pledge to your organization, you've accepted the call to be an active member of society -- and that includes helping your fellow man.

Giving back. Do you ever sit back and realize how lucky you are to be receiving your education? Or that your health has allowed you to be where you are at this exact moment in time that when your chromosomes lined up; they were placed in such a manner that you were born with all four limbs, functioning organs, sight, taste and smell? Of course not, because we’re a distracted generation, brainwashed by a media that tells us that the only importance lies in material things. We’re constantly seeking to better ourselves because we think we’ve got it pretty rough, but the reality is that we’re blessed. Which is why you need to share a little -- and it’s easy. My freshman year made me feel a bit selfish. It was all about my classes, my major, my hardships. When I was elected as my chapter philanthropy director my sophomore year, everything was put back into perspective. We're here to pour into our organizations and our communities, not just allow them to pour out.

Image. Chapter officers know the importance of maintaining a healthy, wholesome image for their organization. No one wants to be seen as the purely social organization, or the ones that never leave the library. Throwing in a little philanthropy, here and there, lets your colleagues know that you do care about the world around you, and that Greek life isn’t just about the parties. Besides, who doesn't want to be a part of making children's dreams come true, or funding services for wounded veterans?

Humility. No one leaves an afternoon spent helping others without feeling a little different. You remember that the world is a bigger place than just your tiny bubble, and it doesn’t take much effort to make a difference. You might not think that reading to a child at an after-school program is as meaningful as doing construction on a house, but it's just as important and shouldn't ever be underestimated. Helping someone else is an easy way to help yourself. Keep yourself grounded and remember that there's always work to be done and someone in need.

Philanthropy doesn't mean just participating in your organization's events. You're a member of multiple communities and you represent your group wherever you go. We need to support our Greek communities and always help our brothers and sisters with their efforts, as well as the communities we inhabit. Just because your philanthropy director didn't organize it, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Your campus has plenty of ways to get involved, and all it takes is a little initiative.

As we approach recruitment season, remember that philanthropy isn't just a day where we talk about that one event we do each year to raise a couple of bucks. It's an ongoing project that we're called to be a part of. There's always someone out there who needs a hand, and you'll never know if you can lend it until you try.