Easy Beauty Tricks with Coconut Oil

Easy Beauty Tricks with Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is like a magical beauty product. Literally it is MAGICAL.

22
Easy Beauty Tricks with Coconut Oil

From putting in your hair and on your skin to baking and cooking with it, here is how you can reap all of its benefits. And this goes for men, too, not just women.

Coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, anti fungal, smells insanely delicious, and moisturizes like no other. I suggest buying Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from Trader Joe’s for $6. Totally affordable! 

HAIR:

1. A Deep Leave-In Conditioner    

No need to go out and spend money on a pricey leave-in conditioner for luscious locks. Simply take a dollop or two (depending on how much hair you have, long, short, etc.) and put it in your hair starting from the tips and working your way up to the roots. Leave it in for at least 30 minutes or even overnight for a super deep conditioning and then shampoo your hair as usual. Coconut oil penetrates hair better than other oils, so you’ll be doing hair flips like nobody's business.

2. Add Shine/ Take Care of Flyaways   

If you feel like your hair is looking dull or lackluster, smooth a little dab of coconut oil on the ends of your hair. Be sure its only a little bit or else it will start to look greasy. You can also dab a touch on those pesky baby hairs or flyaways to keep them at bay.

SKIN:

3. Body/Face Moisturizer   

Seriously, nothing gets easier then this. Apply all over your body or any dry spots as you would with lotion. Coconut oil increases hydration and reduces water loss in dry skin. As a person with super dry hands in the fall/winter months, I can tell you that your hands will feel nourished, soft, and supple. Put in on your face to help prevent wrinkles and age-spots.   

4. Highlighter for Your Face   

A little highlighter can go a long way. Apply a little coconut oil on top of your makeup where you want it to be highlighted and leave it alone. This will brighten up your face and give off a hint of the J-Lo glow. 

5. DIY Homemade Body Scrub   

Expensive store-bought body scrubs are such a waste of money and full of chemicals you don’t need. You can make your own with three to four ingredients already in your kitchen.  Here is a recipe that will leave you feeling as smooth as a baby’s bottom, just try not to eat it. 

Vanilla Coconut Body Scrub:
1 cup of Brown Sugar or Salt or Raw Turbinado Sugar (Your Choice)

½ cup Coconut Oil 

½ tsp to 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract (You can also use 5 drops of any essential oil you like)    

Take 1 cup of brown sugar (or your choice) and pour it into a medium-sized bowl. Melt the coconut oil over a low heat on the stove or melt in the microwave. (Coconut oil is usually white in its solid state and clear when melted.) Pour the melt oil into the bowl, add in the vanilla, and mix until well combined. Pour mixture into a glass or even a mason jar and voila!     

Variations!!! If you don’t like vanilla or any essential oils, try a Coconut Lime Body Scrub. Reduce the amount of coconut oil to 2 Tablespoons, squeeze in the juice of one lime, and then mix. This is one of my favorite scents ever!

6. Shaving Cream

Again, shaving cream is also full of unnecessary chemicals. Ladies, you can rub your legs down in the shower or whenever and use it as you would shaving cream. Your legs will be smooth and glowing (but not in a greasy way, think more of a J-Lo glow).    

Men, you can absolutely use this to shave you face! First, wash your face with some water. Then, take some coconut oil into your hand, rub it around in your hands and put it all over your face. (I suggest all over your face because it helps prevent wrinkles and age spots, but you can just but it where you want to shave.) If it’s your first time, allow it to soak in and then apply a second thicker layer of the oil on and then shave as you would. Rinse off after you’re done. 

7. Eye Makeup Remover

All you do is dab coconut oil onto a cotton ball and gently sweep across and under your eyes. It works on waterproof makeup, too! Then, wash your face as usual.   

EAT:

Coconut oil contains multi-chain tryglycerides (MCTs) which can help you burn more fat. It can also help improve blood cholesterol levels, may lower your risk for hear disease, and helps prevent infections. But it’s still rich in saturated fat, so don’t go eating it by the spoonful.

8. Baking/Cooking

Substitute butter in any baking recipe with coconut oil. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so you can use it like butter. You can also cook with like you would olive oil for a stir fry or a even making eggs. Something I make for a quick breakfast that requires no cooking or baking is taking a piece of toast, spreading a little coconut oil on top like butter, sprinkling on cinnamon (and stevia if you like it sweeter), and then placing sliced banana all over. You can lather it on your pancakes/waffles too! Click here for a delicious cookie recipe.

TEETH:  

9. Whiten and Clean Teeth   

This is something call “oil pulling.” Take a teaspoon and put it in your mouth, but don’t eat it or swallow. Swish it around like a mouthwash for 10 to 20 minutes, then spit it in the trash (it could clog up your sink). It can kill some of the harmful bacteria in your mouth, reduce bad breath, improve dental health, and whiten your teeth. 

Now go forth be be FIERCE. Actually you're already fierce. This will make you even fiercer!