Five Things Politics Majors Are Tired of Hearing

Cue the eye rolls

34
The Buzz Bin

Politics majors are a diverse bunch; some of us are interested in international affairs, some (such as myself) want to run political campaigns, some dream of running for office, and some are just purely interested in political theory, systems of government, justice, and the plethora of other topics politics majors study. No matter what your interests are in the realm of political science, when you introduce yourself as a politics major, you have probably heard the following responses one too many times:

1. "So, as a politics major, what are your political leanings?"

giphy.com

Do not even get me started on this one! As a politics major, I know all too well how polarizing and, for that matter, arbitrary political party categorizations can be. Clearly we are trying to have a conversation here; telling you my political views will result in one of two things: a) we will be in agreement and the conversation will go no further, or b) we will be in disagreement and the conversation will end with uncomfortable tension.

If we are trying to elicit conversation, the last thing we should be talking about is political views (next to religion, the Middle East, or any other controversial and hotly debated topics). Furthermore, just because I am a politics major does not necessarily mean that I have staunch leanings one way or another. In fact, my knowledge of the epidemic of dealignment due to the increasingly polarized nature of our nation's two major political parties makes it all the more likely that I will not identify exclusively with one party's ideologies.

In fact, I may still be figuring out my political leanings for myself as I further study and understand each party's ideology. In my opinion, the best way to respond to this question is to kindly say, "Sorry, but I do not discuss my political views with other people."

2. "OMG you must be so on top of the presidential campaigns, fill me in because I'm clueless."

giphy.com

If you want to be educated on the current state of political affairs (as I assume you do because you asked me to do that for you), please educate yourself. Political efficacy, or a citizen's belief that they can effect change and influence political affairs with their individual actions (such as voting), is currently at dangerously low levels because people fail to educate themselves on the state of affairs.

Yes, being aware of what is going on in the country and the rest of the world and how our candidates are planning to deal with it takes effort. But we need active political participation for the health of our society. Turning to someone you assume to be an "expert" on political affairs is akin to relying on pundits to be in the know; not only is it lazy on your part, but you are also subjecting yourself to even more biases than you would already be exposed to simply by reading the newspaper. If you really want to contribute, you must make the effort to educate yourself.

3. "So do you want to, like, run for president some day?"

giphy.com

Come on. The assumption that all politics majors want to be the president of the United States completely undermines the diversity and complexity of the study of political science. We do not learn how to rule the world in class. We study political theory, law, war, justice, systems of government, public administration, international affairs, among many, many other topics.

Not all of us want to be president. (On another note, implying that we all want to have some U.S.-related profession underscores and belies the crucial study and work that many politics majors do and will do in foreign countries.) We all have vastly different aspirations, and oftentimes the link between someone's dream job and their politics major is not as obvious as "Politics majors want to run for President." We do not fit into one mold of person with an exclusive and predictable set of goals; please respect that.

4. "I'll bet you were on student council in high school."

giphy.com

You want to bet? Again, we are so much more complex than that! This assumption implies that all politics majors are of the same breed: the fiercely charismatic, winning-smile, hand-shaker who has been campaigning since they were in the womb. Sure, we may be that person. But we are equally as likely to be someone who prefers to work more inconspicuously behind the scenes, maybe as a leader of many clubs and organizations.

I held leadership positions in almost all of the clubs and organizations I was a member of in high school, yet I was usually Secretary with my adept organizational skills and my flair for professional and efficient email correspondence. I was a co-editor-in-chief for the yearbook, and I was not involved with student council at all! Although many politics majors are naturally-born leaders (and many are not!), that does not necessarily mean that they will take any and all leadership opportunities.

It also does not mean that they will always fiercely chase the highest leadership position available. It is more likely that we know our limitations and will dedicate ourselves smartly to a cause that we can put 100% of ourselves into, rather than prematurely jumping at any opportunity or selectively running for only the highest positions even when we don't have the time to dedicate to it.

5. "I don't really follow politics, it just doesn't interest me."

giphy.com

I have probably laughed this off so as not to seem rude, but I want you to know that you are killing me inside. You certainly do not have to be interested in politics; we understand that some people find it incredibly boring, and we accept that. However, when you say this, you are implying that politics is not worthy of your attention just because you don't find it intriguing.

The reality is that politics - the subject we study - is a huge part of everyone's life, whether or not you realize it and whether or not you like it. Politics has a profound impact on everyone's life. Politics goes beyond simply who we vote for. Politics is the subtle ways in which we organize ourselves in our society; oftentimes it is so subtle that you cannot even see it until you study it - and then, it is staggering.

In addition, everyone has their own opinion on hot-button issues like foreign and domestic policy, gun control, reproductive rights, marriage rights, among others. It is through exercising your political efficacy that you can effect change in the state of affairs based on your opinions - on how you want our country to be. Rather than claiming you are uninterested and then complaining about how the state of affairs is not what you want it to be, get involved and take action to help craft the world you would like to live in.