10 Ways Theatre Helped You In Real Life

10 Ways Theatre Helped You In Real Life

Theatre kids are the best kids.

997
10 Ways Theatre Helped You In Real Life

"Theatre kid." That is what I used to call myself and although I'm not a kid, deep down I'm still that theatre kid. Of course, I still dream of being on Broadway and I cry every time I get to go to NYC, but that isn't the only thing that separates theatre kids from the rest of the world. Here are 10 things that theatre has taught me over the years:

1. Theatre taught how to work as a team.
No teamwork means a horrible show. Great teamwork means a good show. You learn after your first couple of shows how to work with people you don't get along with to STILL have a good show. We are taught this skill early on so when we go into our workplace, we know how to handle these situations.

2. Theatre taught me how to prepare and practice.
I know I'm not the only one that thought I was prepared for an audition only to realize when I got in there, I was NOT prepared enough. After a while, you learn how much you need to prepare for something to be successful. This can compare to interviews, presentations or pretty much anything.

3. Theatre taught me how to accept the word "No."
Media is saying that Millennials don't understand how to accept the word "no" and that "kids today all feel like they deserve a blue ribbon for everything little thing they do." Yet, I learned that being told no only opens new doors with better opportunities. We theatre kids were taught to congratulate the competition when they come out top, and mean it. This was not a bad thing, it just made us work harder the next time around. I was taught how to be strong when your heart gets broken and although it never gets easier, you know how to deal with it.

4. Theatre taught me how to balance life.
"I can't I have rehearsal" is the constant joke of the theatre world because you "cant'" do anything else. et's be honest, we wouldn't want to be doing anything else anyway. Yet, doing theatre in high school reaches you how to balance your grades plus balance a show. Tech/show week + exams is NEVER easy. We have all made it through these weeks so, we can pretty much make it through anything. College exam week is NOTHING compared to show week.

5. Theatre taught me how to speak.
How to speak my mind, how to speak in front of audiences and how to improv. Theatre gives you a voice that you never knew you had. Learning to speak in front of HUGE audiences makes speaking to a 30 person room, so much easier. Improv isn't always needed on the stage, there are times in the real world where you need to think on your toes. You are taught how to do this effectively and believably. (Theatre also made me a great B.S.er.) These skills help during interviews specially when you were not prepared for a question. Let's be real here, which is worse, an interview or an audition?

6. Theatre taught me how to live in the moment.
It's your last year at school, it's your last day at your job, it's your last show. You learn that you have to live in the moment because you never know when it's going to end. Yet, in amateur theatre, you do know when the show will end so you learn to cherish each moment you have with your cast and the moments on stage.

7. Theatre taught me how to take criticism.
My first time I was ever on stage with lines was in 5th grade and I had the first line of the show. The very first rehearsal, I walked onto the stage, TRIPPED, then said my lines (badly, I'm guessing). Then immediately got screamed at by the director (in front of everyone) on how I need to speak up, slow down and be confident if I wanted to be in the show. Of course, I cried after but I learned at an early age that criticism is the only way you will improve. I notice now that I'm older I have that want to improve and that want to be given constructive criticism. BUT we also learn how to pretend to take the criticism from people who think they are the director, say thank you, and then brush it off like it's no big deal.

8. Theatre taught me how to accept yourself and others.
Theatre is known for having odd characters on stage and well... off stage as well. You learn early on to accept people the way they are and see the greatest in them no matter how "odd" they are to you. There might be a girl who is really quiet that barely talks but gets on stage and blows her monologue out of the water. It really makes you not judge a person by their cover as well as letting your own freak flag fly. ("Freak Flag")

9. Theatre taught me how to make the best of what you got.
There were times where wanted to be cast as Belle but got cast as Village Girl #12. But hey, we learned that we are going to be the best damn Village Girl #12 that Beauty and the Beast has EVER SEEN. How much fun you have is what you make it and that's the same about life. Sure we would like to belt out "Home" and bring on the tears but we found out that fake conversations in the background are fun too. Make the best out of what you got in life and live it up.

10. Theatre showed me what passion is.
People in the theatre world are constantly told they are not good enough. They are told from outsiders to get out of the industry because they will never make it. Yet, there are people everyday who make their Broadway debuts and watch their dreams coming true before their eyes. Every time I go to see a show, I am reminded of the love and the passion from the cast, crew and pit. I am reminded over and over again that theatre will always have a special place in my heart.

Theatre kids are the best kids!