Buttoned: A Fashion Oasis For Baylor Students

21

Like most girls, I am guilty of many things such as using Pinterest and online shopping to avoid doing homework, cleaning or really any other sort problem I don’t want to deal with. That is exactly why I became somewhat creepily obsessed with a fashion blog by and for Baylor students that launched this semester. If you haven’t heard of it, you’re definitely missing out (#FOMO, am I right?). 
The blog is called Buttoned and is run by three freshman Baylor students: Taylor Wong, a Business major hailing from San Diego, CA; Abby Thompson, an International Studies major from Plano, TX; and Hannah Kleinick, a Public Relations major from sunny Los Angeles, CA. I was lucky enough to be able sit down with the three girls behind the blog this week and talk a bit about their website and where they find their inspiration.

First and foremost, how did the three of you meet?

Hannah: Well Taylor and I met on Facebook; we’re roommates.

Taylor: I met Abby in a lab and we all ended up living down the hall from each other.

How did you all figure out that you each had a love for fashion?

Hannah: I noticed when I saw that Taylor was really into shopping.

Taylor: I think when we all realized that we were the only ones still dressing up for class.

Abby: And when we started seeing that we all like the same kinds of fashion.

On your blog, you have a section called, “Currently Stalking”, where you document different Baylor students’ (both guys and girls) styles that you admire. How do you choose the people that you feature? Do you actually do some stalking?

[Laughing]

Hannah: Sometimes, if that’s what it takes!

Taylor: A lot of times we get suggestions from friends about people.

Abby: We also will see people on campus or have friends tag someone on our Instagram that they think is stylish.

You also include in your “Currently Stalking” section the person’s favorite piece to wear. What would you say is your favorite clothing item or accessory you own?

Hannah: We always hate this question because we never know what to say!I think I’d have to say my favorite piece is my IRO black leather jacket. I wear it all the time.

Taylor: I think I have two. I love my Dogeared gold elephant necklace- I always get compliments on it, but I also have a pair of vintage black high-waisted Versace shorts that I always wear.

Abby: I love my brown suede Clarks! I also have this vintage 50’s Tea Length blue party dress that I don’t have anything to wear to.

Hannah & Taylor: It’s awesome! We definitely need to find something to wear it to.

Speaking of favorite pieces, what is one upcoming style for spring or summer that you absolutely love?

Hannah: I love matching two-piece sets on other people.

Taylor: I don’t think I’ll ever be able to rock a jumpsuit, but if I see someone wearing one on campus, I will actually stop her and take a picture. I also love rompers.

Abby: I really like the two-piece sets, too. I love the combination of crop tops with high waisted bottoms.

Where do you find your fashion inspiration?

Hannah: Mostly in magazines like Teen Vogue or In-Style and fashion blogs like Fashion Toast. I also really like seeing what up and coming actresses are wearing, it’s fun to see what new designers they’re wearing.

Taylor: I like Instagram because I follow a lot of famous people and bloggers like ‘Sincerelyjules’, and you get to see what they’re wearing through that. It’s also really convenient because you can check it literally whenever.

Abby: I really like browsing Pinterest or window shopping- especially in vintage stores. I think my favorite shop would be Feathers Boutique in Austin.

Is it sometimes difficult to come to agreement on what to post/what you like? Is it hard to bridge the gap between the difference in California and Texas fashion?

Hannah: I think the biggest difference is that Taylor and I will never ever own a pair of Chacos and Abby wears them!

[Laughing]

Taylor: But really, I don’t think it’s hard to agree on what to post because we have one audience that we need to cater to.

Abby: The California style is more free, but I think having a Texan influence helps bridge the gap for Baylor students.

What is your fashion pet peeve that you’ve seen on campus?

Abby: Bedazzled jeans.

Taylor: Chevron- it’s good in moderation, but not when it’s too much.

Hannah: Definitely Chacos, but the thing I love about Baylor is that people know how to put themselves together. I love being able to go somewhere and see girls dressed up and looking great but everyone has their days- sometimes you just have to go class in Nike’s and oversized t-shirts.

Where do you see Buttoned Bears going in the future? Do you have any goals you’d like to accomplish?

Hannah: We’re definitely always looking for growth.

Taylor: We actually just featured a boutique on our blog that’s owned by a Baylor Alumna. She wanted us to sort of advertise for her, so we’re really hoping to take that and reach out locally to places like Spice and Roots.

Abby: I think eventually we want to have more of a presence on campus and maybe even have a team of staff.

Hannah: We always want to cater to our audience, though. We really try to get a taste for what people are interested in here and post what is most realistic for a Baylor student.

Lastly, one of my favorite questions you ask the people featured on your blog is what they’re currently listening to, so who is your current musical obsession?

Hannah: James Vincent McMorrow and Volcano Choir.

Taylor: I love my Beyoncé and Lana Del Rey.

Abby: The Crystal Fighters and Jake Bugg.

If you haven’t had a chance to check out the blog, I highly recommend it. It’s the perfect blend of West Coast and Southern style and offers a little inspiration to get you dressed up on those days when all you can seem to think about is your Lulu and Comfort Colors. Plus, you’ll never have to feel guilty about spending way too much money trying to avoid studying for your finals…or is that just me?

Check it out: http://www.buttonedbears.squarespace.com/

Contact: Buttonedblog@gmail.com

You can ‘like’ their Facebook page, “Buttoned”, and also follow them on Instagram and Twitter at @buttonedbears