11 Things To Be Thankful For In Fall

11 Things To Be Thankful For In Fall

Summer may be over, but fall is just as fun!

581
11 Things To Be Thankful For In Fall

Everyone I've met has a very strong opinion on their favorite season. Some say summer because the weather is warm, others say winter because of the holidays. Whoever names fall the favorite says so because of sweater weather and pumpkin spice lattes. But there is so much more to fall than that, and there is so much to be happy for in fall.

1. One More Hour of Sleep

Photo Credit

Daylight savings! Yeah, I know it’ll be annoying to have to double check yourself on what time it is the first few days, but we do get an extra hour of sleep! Who doesn’t need another hour of sleep? You’re lying if you say you don’t. (And if you really don’t need another hour of sleep, please tell me your secret.)

2. Baked Goods

Photo Credit

Nothing says fall like a good apple crumble. Or pumpkin bread. Or cinnamon spice cake. Or pumpkin pie. Now that the weather is starting to cool down, the perfect thing to warm you up is a nice fresh-baked spicy orange cranberry muffin or pumpkin chocolate chip cookie. It’s always nice to have the house warm with the smell of freshly baked treats.

3. Staying Inside

Photo Credit

After all that baking, you’re not going to want to leave the coziness of your house. So curl up with a nice mug of tea (or hot cider, or hot chocolate, or seasonal coffee) and sit inside by the fire all bundled up in a blanket. Watch your favorite Halloween movies, write in a journal about your thoughts on the season, or think of more fun things you want to bake.

4. TV Show Seasons Begin

Photo Credit

Summer is full of repeat TV shows and a few new seasons of shows, but nothing all that exciting (especially if you're not that into reality TV). With fall comes the premiere of new shows. Old favorites return and new ones pique our interest, from comedies to dramas ("Scream Queens" or "The Grinder," anyone?). Snuggle in for the night and get your dose of pop culture.

5. Outdoor Activities

Photo Credit

Just because there’s a little chill in the air doesn’t mean you have to stay cozily inside. There are plenty of outdoor seasonal activities to do! Apple picking at a local orchard is a sure to get you in the autumnal spirit, especially with hot cider and donuts in hand. Go to the pumpkin patch too and pick out the perfect pumpkin for a jack-o-lantern, or just to look seasonally festive. Take advantage of the leaves too. Sure it’s work to have to rake up the rainbow of leaves that have fallen, but it’s all worth it to jump in the pile afterwards and see the beauty of it swirling all around you.

6. Seasonal Cooking

Photo Credits

There’s more to fall foods than just baking. (I mean if you want to just eat treats all the time, I see nothing wrong with that.) Summer meant light and refreshing food out on the grill. Now it’s time for some hearty food to make you feel warm and cozy. Butternut squash is always a fall favorite, whether it’s in soup or mac and cheese. Savory vegetable stews and a chunky piece of warm bread is a go-to on a chilly day. (How about a bowl of chili when it’s chilly?) And who could forget Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is the Holy Grail of fall foods, covering the whole autumnal spectrum from cranberries, to mashed potatoes, to pie.

7. Cozy Clothes

Photo Credit

It might sound silly, but getting dressed up for fall is wonderful. Layering sweaters and scarves and boots is so cozy, you can’t help but feel happy as you walk around in the crisp fall air. And now that summer is over, you don’t have to worry about shaving your legs. Layer up!

8. Seeing Family Again

Photo Credit

This is especially true if you’re a college kid. Thanksgiving is not only the Holy Grail of fall foods, but the ultimate homage to home. You’ve been away from home for about three months now, and that means three months away from good home cooking and your own comfy bed. And, of course, your family. After months of stress and endless schoolwork and no sleep, you feel instantly at ease the moment you step into your own house. The love of your family floods into your heart and nothing could be better than settling in at home.

9. Beauty of Nature

Photo Credit

There are so many fun outdoor activities to do in fall, but as you're busy doing all this fun stuff, it’s easy to forget how beautiful your surroundings are. Take a moment to look up at the warm foliage and the rainbow of trees. Nature is at its peak and the transformative beauty is everywhere. Don't forget to notice it.

10. Pre-Holiday Season

Photo Credit

Fall isn’t quite late enough in the year to qualify as holiday season, but that doesn’t mean it’s too early to get excited for the holidays. October means Halloween and November means Thanksgiving, and there are plenty of minor holidays in between (but does anyone really celebrate Columbus Day?). Once Thanksgiving has commenced, holiday season has officially begun. Fall is the time to be happy and excited for it all.

11. Enjoying it All

Photo Credit

There are so many reasons to be happy every day in life, and there is no time like the present to start appreciating it. Fall can be full of stress, from school, to work, to dealing with the end of summer. The change in weather can trigger emotional instabilities, so it can be hard to see the good in life, but it is always good to try to do so. Take the time to take a break from the stress and enjoy the goodness that surrounds you, even if its just noticing the little things. There are so many happy things to look forward to.