Farewell, Mr. Cub: Remembering Ernie Banks

20
"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." Ernie Banks

Growing up in a Cubs household was definitely an interesting one. "What's your favorite baseball team?" someone would ask."Go, Cubbies!" and an immediate, "Sorry, but why?" would follow after I exclaimed my patronage of the lovable losers. Once you pledge your allegiance to a team, you cannot really change your views. Fair weather fans are my biggest pet peeve, indeed.

So, like many fans of the Cubs, my heart sank when a notification of, "Ernie Banks dead at age 83," came up on my iPhone. The man is a legend to the fans of the north side players. When you are seen as one of the top baseball players in the whole history of Major League Baseball, it is kind of a big deal. 

Ernie Banks is held with the highest of regard, sharing that limelight with Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and, of course, number 42, Jackie Robinson. In his 18 years of suiting up in his #14 jersey, Banks had 2,583 hits, 512 home runs, and many incredible plays as a shortstop/first baseman. In 1971, he decided to retire from his playing years and join the coaching staff of the Cubs.

And in just six years after his retirement, he was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame, where he is displayed with outstanding honor with all of his fellow decorated ball players. His success also lead him to be named to the Major League All-Century Baseball Team with Yogi, Babe, and Joe DiMagio.

While all of his accomplishments are amazing, what is truly inspiring is the way he held himself. His passion for the game? Remarkable. His work ethic? Something that should be taught in classrooms, daily. He had a love for the game, for the fans, and for life. He did not let the hard times for African-Americans halt him from doing the thing he truly loved: playing baseball.

"The riches of the game are in the thrills, not the money."
Ernie Banks

He saw baseball, not only as his career and main love -- he saw it as one big classroom that taught him keys to life to make it something special. He wasn't in it for the money; he was in it for the experience, for the love of the game. And with that attitude, he gave Chicago one great spectacle to see and believe in. 

While there have been many Cubs players to make their marks at Wrigley Field. Andre Dawson, Sammy Sosa, Billy Williams and many more, they cannot match up to the one and only Ernie Banks.

So here's to you Mr. Cub, thank you for many thrilling innings, legendary memories, and many lessons of life. We raise our Cub caps to you.