Why Your Roommate Instantly Becomes Your Best Friend

What happens in the dorm room stays in the dorm room.

16
Google

Living with someone and sharing a room the size of a shoebox for a year can really change a person. Everyday you come back to the crust that is your college dorm room to share the good, bad and awkward situations that happened that day. You learn their sleep schedule, their eating schedule, how they like to do their laundry, which t-shirt is their favorite and many more things you never dreamed you could know about just one person. Between the 2 a.m. pizza cravings and the early morning hideousness that is your bed head, the room is full of non-stop laughter and an instant friendship.

Just as your mom would do, they take care of you when you're sick, listen to your daily rants about life and check in to see how your day is going. We all know the stresses of college are too much to take on by ourselves so ranting about the annoying professors and pointless homework with your bestie always seems to be the best solution. We also all know that being sick at college is one of the worst things that can happen to you. It takes a special kind of friend to go buy you tissues and medicine when you feel like you're about to die from the college crud.

Eventually your roomie relationship gets to that awesome point where you feel like family. You feel comfortable sharing about the embarrassing tumble you took on the concourse or that time when you got lost in the science building and couldn't find your classroom even though it's the 15th week of school. The late nights get even later while you talk about your biggest fears and how you think you're balding and why your convinced that your life is actually in shambles. You talk about how you really need to change your sheets because it's been too long and you know she won't judge you because she endures the nastiness of y'alls room just like you do. It's the small things like knowing your order at Chick-fil-A and being able to read your mind and know that it's time to order Chinese food at 10 at night that makes someone your instant soulmate.

Nowadays, it's so hard to find someone who you can proudly call your best friend. Having someone to do life with who understands all of your quirks makes college that much more bearable. College is that time where you make new friendships that will last a lifetime and having someone who sees you at your literal best and worst is something you should hold true to your heart and never let go.