What You've Heard About Sororities

What You've Heard About Sororities

25
What You've Heard About Sororities

I struggled with the decision to rush entering fall of this year because of the blinding stereotypes that surrounded Greeks and the Greek Community. I'd seen "Sydney White," the popular Amanda Bynes movie based on the story of Snow White, yet in this case it was following an attractive freshman girl, and her experience through rush as a legacy. The girls in the sororities were the definition of artificial and superficial; party girls, girls who sleep around, girls with the newest clothes and the most expensive purses and girls with no brain. I watched this movie and, although it was entertaining, it disgusted me. "How could anyone subject themselves to this torture?" I thought to myself.

The SNL skit mocking Tri Delts just furthers your idea of sorority women as the ditzy girls that just throw themselves at boys. I'd heard from countless movies and people who told me how expensive sororities are and how you pay for your friends. While I could keep going with the examples from the media, you get the picture. Greek Life is so misrepresented in the media, but how would you know until you go through it yourself?

After talking with my neighbor who had rushed Theta at a different school and had already graduated, I thought I'd give it a shot. I went in with zero expectations, no legacy title to my name, a few recommendation letters, and some excitement at trying something different. I knew nothing about Greek Life besides what I'd seen in movies and pictures from older girls on Facebook and I wanted to finally have my own opinion.

My Pi Chi, or Gamma Rho for other schools, was (and still is) such a great example of not only a Greek woman but an Auburn woman. She immediately disproved every preconceived notion I came in with, encouraging us and loving on us and making us feel comfortable in a week that is so far from comfortable. I was ready to take this week on and come out of it with whatever God had in store for me.

My Pi Chi group with our lovely Pi Chi, Maddy, in the middle

Through rush, I met some great girls and got to know every sorority, and I truly believe in the sentence, "You'll end up where you're supposed to be." Rush comes with heartaches and lots of tears but in the end it was so worth it.

I have gotten to know Greek Life personally this year and it is nothing like you've heard.

What I've learned:

1. There is a place for everyone and not everyone is like each other.
Every sorority contains a group of women that are pursuing a college education and every girl you meet is completely different. Not one is a carbon copy of another. I've met so many girls that want to be doctors and lawyers, girls who want to be teachers, and girls who want to make a difference in the world. I know a girl in every sorority here at Auburn and I can truly say that each house is a great place for any Potential New Member.

2. Sororities are extremely philanthropy-based.
Every sorority has their own philanthropy and their own events to raise money for their philanthropies. Each chapter raises thousands of dollars every year for their cause and are excited to educate the public on what they're about.

My sweet friend and I promoting our different sororities' philanthropy events

3. You are not paying for your friends.
Heck, if I was paying for my friends, I should be paying a whole lot more. Each sorority can outline every cost to show you what your money is going to. And if you think that dues are strictly for the "hundreds of t-shirts in our closets," you should know every t-shirt is optional and they are paid for separately from our dues.

4. Your grades matter.
Every sorority has their own GPA requirement and there are consequences if you don't meet them. Sorority girls don't just get to float by in college and there are mandatory study hours that have to be clocked in every week.

5. You will make so many connections.
Just by rushing in the fall, I have met so many girls at my school. Greek Life makes a huge campus feel so much smaller, with friendly and familiar faces passing by left and right. Going out of state for college, I came in knowing not a single person and through the process I've met so many people.

6. We "throw what we know" because we're proud of our letters.
In my sorority, we had to wait until after initiation to be able to wear our letters, and by then, we learned what an honor and privilege it was to be able to wear them. Countless Facebook pictures and Instagram posts are adorned with "throw what ya know" moments because we're sisters and we're so proud to represent something bigger than ourselves.

So excited to be not just neighbors but Theta sisters

7. You will meet your best friends.
If I had not gone through rush, I know I would have gotten involved in some other way on campus but I would not have met my best friends. I rushed Theta and found my best friends; girls I don't know what I would do without. These girls challenge me, push me, love on me, listen to me, encourage me, and laugh with me. I go to school twelve hours and three states away from home, and without these girls, I don't think I could have survived college this far. They're the ones I go to when I need a shoulder to cry on, or need help in a class, want to rant about my day or if I want to be spontaneous and take a drive somewhere. I'm so blessed to have them in my life and be able to call them my best friends.

Greek Life is not for everyone, but please don't judge a book by its cover. It's an amazing way for people to get involved on campus and you really don't know what it's like until you've been through it yourself.