Things I Wish I Knew Going Into The Disney College Program

My advice to future DCP's from a CP

4003
Rachel Durbin

Whether you have accepted a position with the Walt Disney Company or are thinking about it, these are some helpful reminders and tips I have decided to share while on my college program experience. In Disney terms, a CP just stands for College Program and DCP stands for Disney College Program, CP is what students are referred to as while on their internship.

Not every day will be perfect. Yes, even at the happiest place on earth, you won’t always have a particularly joyful day. You will have long shifts, discouraging guests and intense situations. However, at the end of the day, your work and the magic you create is worthwhile!

It’s not all glamorous. Some students, even me, came in with the idea that we were going to have an exceptional role and location. But sometimes you can be put in a role you wouldn’t expect, but it’s still important to give it a chance and do your best!

Love your role. No matter what your role is, embrace it! You’re working for the best company in the world! You’re at Disney to have an amazing résumé booster and a great experience; your role won’t matter in the grand scheme of things. You just have to make the most of what you’re doing.

Don’t take anything personally. At times you will deal with certain guests who may be discouraging, but let it roll off of your shoulders! You will always have great people to lean on, and you’ll probably never see them again. Don’t let negative interactions affect you.

Give it a chance. You will miss your friends and family very much, but you’ll be back soon! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so give the program some time. Meet new people, try new things and explore! Home will always be there, but this opportunity is only temporary.

Don’t be afraid to try new things. There are so many things to do in your spare time: go to the parks, ride a new ride, try a new food you’ve never had, meet a new character or even go to an audition! You never run out of exciting things to experience in your program.

Don’t overwork yourself. CP’s are required a minimum of 30 hours. You can be extended during your shifts, so always utilize your time off to rejuvenate and relax!

Enjoy yourself! Spend your paychecks, go to the pools or even enjoy a day to yourself. Going to the parks alone or having personal time is nothing to be ashamed of; personally, I prefer to be alone when I can make my own schedule and do whatever I want at my own pace.

Talk to everyone. Your fellow CP’s will quickly become your family, and you will meet some amazing guests. So take the time to go out of your way to talk to as many people as you can.

Patience, patience, patience! You will have trying times with co-workers, roommates or even guests. Learn to be patient and to not take everything personally, and you can get through it!

Make good choices...literally. Your program is not worth getting terminated over underage drinking, drugs or any other ridiculous reason you can think of. You will get caught, I promise. So please remember: it is not worth it.

$ave. Housing rent can be pricey (and is taken out weekly), so be sure to save your money and spend it wisely!

Don't worry...the magic never fades! Regardless of some of the things you may see and experience at Disney as a cast member, the magic never fades! Every day I walk into the park, and it’s just like my first time.

You’re here for a reason. Out of 20,000 people that had applied, only 6,000 of us were offered a position. So no matter what your role, bad days or homesickness, the Walt Disney Company chose you, and you’re special for that!