Potential New Members You Will See During Fraternity Recruitment: Celebrity Style

Brought to you by "A-List" Celebrities.

207

Throughout the IFC recruitment process here at the University of Arizona, first impressions speak volumes. Recruitment here reveals a world that not many people are exposed to.

After experiencing Recruitment for the past two years, it is clear that potential new members can be categorized in particular fashions. With that being said: have you seen these celebrities throughout recruitment?

"Too Perfect": There is always that guy who does everything right. 4.0 GPA, heavy involvement in extracurriculars, and he even throws some community service in there, too. Overall, this type of PNM is sought out by all chapters. This potential new member will most likely serve on the Executive Board and has the potential to become a great leader in any chapter...It's almost as if everything he does is perfect.

"The Legacy": Everyone is aware of legacies. Legacies are the most unpredictable type of potential, due to the fact that other people speak on his behalf. A legacy is also a touchy subject thanks to alumni influence. Legacies tend to take two stances. In the first instance, a legacy will not even reveal his legacy status, he wants to do it on his own. On the other hand, there are legacies that abuse their status. He will use words hinting to him having a 100% chance of getting a bid. This scenario can be compared to when Wahlberg stated that if he were in fact on a plane in 9/11, the events would have not resulted as they did. Marky, just because you play a badass role in your movies does not mean that you are able to save the world in real life. The same idea goes for legacies; just because you’re a legacy does not 100% entitle you to membership. On the other hand, legacies who receive bids prove to be more passionate towards his chapter.

"Mr. Timid": Despite being shy, this Potential requires a little more attention. A majority of the time, the potential new members who speak less, often have more to offer. Unfortunately for these potentials, they are frequently passed up. Among the thousand of young men who come through Rush, the “Mr. Timids” of the world are vulnerable to being overlooked. Don’t be fooled! Although they are not the most outspoken, the attributes they can bring to a chapter are incredible. Over time, this potential opens up and is proud to identify himself with a specific chapter. 

"Rush Crush": Everyone has heard the term “Rush Crush.” In fact, you yourself might have even been one. This potential new member has it made, for he has successfully built unforgettable impressions on active brothers. Each day, this Potential is specifically sought out and introduced to more and more brothers. This Potential carries himself with great esteem and executes each day of recruitment in the utmost professional fashion. He has the ability to light up a room with his conversation and he is able to promote harmony. 

"Quality not Quantity": The next potential new member has a unique way of carrying himself. He won't talk too much, but he doesn't come off as shy. However, when he speaks, it is pure gold. Almost every word that comes out of his mouth seems too good to be true. He posses an above average ability to achieve success in anything. Questions such as, “why do you want to join a fraternity?” are perfectly answered yet they don't seem rehearsed. The genuine intellectual swagger of this Potential allows him to be an easy target for a bid. His accomplishments speak for themselves. 

"The Comedian": Everyone loves the funny guy. Every year during Rush there is that one Potential who stands out and is just simply hilarious. This Potential thrives in life due to his ability to lift the spirits of everyone around them. When voting comes around, a unanimous decision is made to keep him around. The light-hearted nature of this Potential allows him to establish connections with a variety of different active brothers. At the end of the day, “The Comedians” will always find themselves a home in a fraternity. 

"The Try Hard": This Potential registered for Rush on the first day possible. He has researched the ins and outs of every chapter on campus. Whether it be rumors heard around the rumor mill or tangible facts regarding a chapter’s founding, philanthropies and intramural sports, in the grand scheme of things, this Potential proves to be a hit or miss. Unfortunately, sometimes this potential comes off almost desperate. The cluster of information he has to offer almost always serves as over-kill. It is common that he will bring up how bad he wants to party or how stoked he is to meet girls. However, once this Potential finds the fraternity where he is the most comfortable, he will learn to thrive. 

"The Frat Star": Stud. This guy is the real deal. For a week before Rush, fraternities are already picturing giving this guy a bid. On top of being the definition of a “face guy,” everything in this Potential’s life somehow resolves around fraternity life. Almost as if he was born for the sole reason of joining a fraternity, Greek Life serves as a pedestal of fame for this potential new member. He solely commits to identifying himself with his band of brothers. Along the way, this Potential will allow grow among fraternity ranks, which prove more important to him than anything else. But, although this guy has the whole package, he does not let that get to his head. In the end, girls either love him or can’t stand him.