Bow Down to Bey

Bow Down to Bey

32
Bow Down to Bey

Beyoncé Knowles-Carter.

"The most important and compelling popular musician of the twenty-first century..... the result, the logical end point, of a century-plus of pop.

- Jody Rosen, The New Yorker music critic

Queen B.

Named “Artist of the Decade” by The Gaurdian

Sasha Fierce.

Third most honored female artist with 20 Grammy Awards and 52 nominations.

Yoncé.

"No one has that voice, no one moves the way she moves, no one can hold an audience the way she does... When Beyoncé does an album, when Beyoncé sings a song, when Beyoncé does anything, it's an event, and it's broadly influential. Right now, she is the heir-apparent diva of the USA — the reigning national voice.

-Baz Luhrmann

Beyoncé.

One word, six letters…Legend.

She is our modern day queen, gracing us with her voice and empowering us with her lyrics. She will be the voice that we remember from growing up, and most likely will be sticking around into our adulthood. She is one among the greats and her music will be carried on for generations. There are not many people out there that can incorporate “Bow Down B****s” it to one of their songs, but Beyoncé did and nobody thought twice about it. No one is as poised, polished and fierce as Beyoncé, and it will be hard for any other pop star to carry on a legacy like she has.

She is Beyoncé.

The star was born on September 4th, 1981 (should it be a holiday?) and raised in humble beginnings in Houston. By the age of seven, she was singing, dancing and performing in talent shows. By high school, was already in a singing group with cousin, Kelly Rowland and friends, LaTavia Roberson and LeToya Luckett. The group was later signed to Columbia Records as Destiny’s Child.

After releasing many hits including, “Say My Name,” it was clear to the world that Beyoncé was the belle of the ball and she released her solo debut track, “Work it Out.”

The rest is history.

Her first album, Dangerously in Love, raced to the top of the charts at number one in 2003. The album included hit, “Crazy in Love,” whom she collaborated with her now husband, Jay-Z. Who could think up a better duo? But I guess the music industry was just too small for Beyoncé; her audience wanted to see her in all walks of life, so she hit the big screen. She starred in Austin Powers Goldmember and The Pink Panther, but her breakout was her role as Deena Jones in Broadway smash Dreamgirls, alongside Jennifer Hudson. Yoncé received two Golden Globes nominations for the performance and the movie won two Oscars. In a short three week span, she recorded and released her second solo album B’Day which again debuted as number one on the charts.

Her third album, I am Sasha Fierce was no exception to her talent, debuting at number one and selling nearly 500,000 copies within the first week. With four top 10 singles on the chart throughout the year, it was safe to say Beyoncé was doing just fine and her legacy continued on. Her fourth album, 4, gave Queen B her fourth consecutive number one album release in 2011, and yet again engaged listeners for months to come.

Then who could forget that normal December day when out of left field she dropped her fifth album. But no, not just any album. She described her sudden release as a “visual album,” that included a music video for all 14 songs. The album and videos also included appearances from her daughter, Blue Ivy, husband, Jay-Z and friends, Drake, Frank Ocean, Pharrell Williams and Destiny’s Child members. The album again debuted as number one, giving her the title as first woman in the chart's history to have her first five studio albums debut at number one. The album also gave her critical acclaim and commercial success, selling one million digital copies worldwide in just six days. Who knew something so hushed could create such a storm? The surprise was inventive and well, Beyoncé.

So this tribute is for you, Beyoncé. You have defined superstar in the modern age and have created a legacy that will continue to grow as you continue to inspire and empower “Beehivers” across the globe.

Bow Down.