Fall TV: Rise Of The Villains, Dark Swan, And Fred Savage

A look at returning favorites that have aired so far and one promising new comedy.

15

Sunday-

"Once Upon a Time" (ABC, 8 PM)

After pulling off what at the time seemed an unlikely feat of a successful, live-action "Frozen"storyline during peak "Frozen" mania, "Once Upon a Time" ended it's fourth season strong, with a finale that laid out multiple interesting avenues for season five. The most significant of these was savior, Emma, taking the fall for Evil Queen, Regina, so that she didn't have to face yet another setback on her quest for redemption (a smart move given that confronting her with yet another huge hurdle so soon, this one completely out of her hands, would've been tired for Regina and viewers alike). Emma is a much more intriguing choice for becoming the new Dark One and the show doesn't disappoint in it's fifth season premiere. Teleported to the Enchanted Forest to battle her new-found darkness alone (indulgently but wonderfully portrayed as a split personality of Rumplestiltskin), Hook, Snow, Regina, and gang must find their own portal so they can help save her from herself.

While I won't spoil the amusing 'how,' they achieve their goal and the episode rounds itself out nicely with a cool new character in "Brave's," Merida (Amy Mason), and some hand-holding for Captain Swan shippers. The hitch comes in the last few minutes, with a flashforward twist that feels like the story being manipulated to allow the show to keep its flashback structure. We'll see how that plays out going forward but, barring that ending, the premiere was an outright success. A

Monday-

"Gotham" (FOX, 8 PM)

The show took on some complaints its first season of trying to be too many thing at once (mafia showdown; villain origin story of the week; little Bruce and Cat Girl coming of age; buddy cop drama; etc.). Season two Gotham narrows its focus, with the mob drama all but resolved with an ecstatic Penguin (Robin Lord Taylor) at the helm. Likewise the villains are carrying over between episodes, with a handful of Arkham Asylum escapees trying to raise panic in the city. These include Jim Gordon's crazy-ex, Barbara (a change in personality that actress, Erin Richards, is happily running with) and Joker hopeful, Jerome ("Shameless'" Cameron Monaghan).

While I still enjoyed these first episodes I wasn't necessarily one of the people who had a problem with Gotham juggling so many storylines before. Bruce trying to fire Alfred was a polarizing move, future Batman or not, and (if possible) the even higher number of bystander casualties this season is a little disconcerting, with a necessary lack of upside (to warrant a superhero, Gotham needs to fall apart). Still, the show has a lot going for it, particularly in the character arcs of a newly sober, Harvey, and future Riddler, Nygma. B+

"Castle" (ABC, 10 PM)

Now with the added exposure of being the only show host, Andy Sandberg didn't watch in his "I've Watched Every Show" Emmy opening number, turns out he might have made the right move, as the show continues its decent from wholly entertaining banter and quirk, to let's rotate which main character is in eminent danger this week. Trouble is at this point in season eight there are no stakes--no one ever gets killed, or injured, and, while that's technically a good thing, their survival rate's gone past creative license to just plain unbelievable. This isn't a heightened reality, after all, but a New York City police precinct--it's supposed to be semi-realistic. The quality of cases is slipping and, while the promos spotlight Beckett's new promotion as captain, as of episode two she still hasn't been able to stand still long enough to show up for the job. At this point its more out of loyalty than anything else that I continue watching but if they ever make a spinoff starring Alexis and new character, Haley, as her PI mentor, that might be something to get excited about. C

Tuesday-

"Fresh off the Boat" (ABC, 8:30 PM)

NEW "Grinder" (FOX, 8:30 PM)

Rob Lowe ("West Wing," "Parks and Recreation") and Fred Savage ("Wonder Years," "Princess Bride)" are perfectly cast in a comedy that plays off both their strengths to make a not necessarily new premise feel, if not so much any more new, very funny. Savage is the underdog, family man lawyer, who knows his stuff but relies on notecards during cross examination. Lowe is his charming brother, oblivious but well-meaning and, until recently, a lawyer on TV. Now that his hit show has ended, however, he wants to join the family practice--once a TV lawyer now a...real lawyer? It's absurd but Grinder recognizes that absurdity, capitalizing on Savage's deadpan and Lowe's melodrama to make their fun rapport sing. A

Wednesday-

"Nashville" (ABC, 10 PM)

With season three's cliffhanger flat line resolved, and Deacon and Rayna's coupling the most stable it's ever been, Nashville has been able to turn its focus back to the business side of music. Relationships have always been an integral part of the show (and continue to be), but it's a nice change of pace, though maybe not so much for Rayna, as she has to deal with the fallout of so many of her clients publicly dropping her label.

The latest, Juliette, continues to suffer from postpartum depression after refusing treatment last season. I'm torn about this storyline, because while on the one hand I commend the show for taking on such an important and misunderstood condition (much like Scrubs did in their sixth season) it has an unfortunate tendency here of feeling like another case of Juliette self-destructing. Of course it's different--depression is NOT a choice--but her life was supposed to be heading in a healthier, happier direction with her marriage to Avery, and to have it backslide again is frustrating.

As for the rest of the cast, the love triangle between Scarlett, Gunner, and doctor needs to end, and is only remotely interesting in context of how it affects their band (for example, a photoshopped album cover).

Similar to how Maddie had her screen time upgraded last season, it looks like Daphne is going to be getting her own storyline this year, which she deserves (if only I could stop forgetting her dad is in prison--that is one plot thread I don't miss being pushed into the background).

Finally, the MVP of the season is absolutely Will, as he contends with a career that's been unceremoniously paused by his label. The ridiculous, unsettling reason? He came out last season. A-

"You're the Worst" (FXX, 10:30 PM)