Michigan the Beautiful- Why I'm Not Leaving My State

Michigan's had a rough time, but I won't leave.

26
Visit the USA

It's no secret Michigan isn't perfect. Far from it, in fact. From the potholes in the road to the mismanagement of our largest cities, Michigan has had a lot of trouble since the crash of the auto industry. Like most of the rust belt, the factory jobs have left, and by and large they haven't been replaced by anything. This great state was the only one in the Union to actually lose population between the 2000 and the 2010 census, and it looks to lose one of its fourteen congressional seats in 2020. I'm a college student, attending Aquinas College in Grand Rapids. I know that my prospects are better outside of this state. But I'm not going to leave. Why?

Michigan is beautiful. Nowhere else can you find Michigan's immense natural beauty. From the Sleeping Bear Dunes on the shores of the largest freshwater lakes in the world to the tall forest in the Upper Peninsula, nowhere else can compare. Each winter the state is blessed with a white coat of beauty, a blanket of cold that transforms the world into something new and clean. Each summer, the waves lap against the sandy beaches, stunning blue skies compliment the deep aqua of the lakes. Verdant grass waves across the hills and plains, emerald leaves adorn every tree. Every fall, the world bursts into a brisk world of color, yellows, oranges, purples and reds spattered across the landscape like a painting, each brushstroke loving and measured. Each spring the hillside bursts into a vibrant yellow and purple, flowers springing to life after a long winter's nap. This state is beautiful and varied, and nothing else comes close. I could search the whole world around, and I would never find anything like it.

Michigan is filled with wonderful people. We have so much unique culture here in the Peninsula State, carried on year after year by loyal, hardworking, and humble people. Our people know hard work and dedication, from working a hard factory job to farming the land, raising crops and cattle to feed the world. We know how to push through the hard times when they are plenty, and appreciate the good times when they are here. We know to help each other when we can, to stay together as a community for the betterment of everyone. We know charity and love. We're unique, with our own vocabulary and own customs, different from anywhere else in America. We drink Faygo and Vernor's, eat Bettermade chips and every Michigander knows that Koegel's hot dogs are the only good ones. We have a strange relationship between country and city life, and in many places mud bogging and clubbing are equally normal things to do. We're unique, and I could not find a better people anywhere in the world.

Michigan is rejuvenating. It may not seem like it, especially in light of recent events in Flint, but Michigan is recovering from the worst of its times. The population is beginning to grow again, and Detroit is finally starting to pick up the pieces of its failure. The auto industry may not come back, but other industries are beginning to make a home in Michigan. Grand Rapids ranks 3rd in the nation for economic growth, and is home to an extremely diverse and artistic population, hosting ArtPrize each year. It's quickly becoming the Silicon Valley of the Midwest, and is attracting a huge amount of industry to the area. Detroit is beginning to grow again, and, after its bankruptcy, is starting to fix itself up again. Detroit also has quite a few rich and safe neighborhoods, and a wonderful downtown, growing and full of life.

Michigan still has problems, but there's never been a problem solved by running away. I love my state, and I wouldn't take it above any other. My family is here, my friends are here, my history is here. It's had a hard time lately, but things are going well for us now, and only look to be getting better. I'm not leaving after college, abandoning this great state because it's not good right now. I'm going to stay and enjoy the coming good times with everyone else. If, god forbid, those good times don't come, I'm still not leaving. Michigan is my home, and I love it.