How To Stop Putting The '60s To Shame With Your "Festival Fashion"

So you’ve got the hippie look down with your round sunglasses, fringe cardigans, and flower crown, but do your actions reflect your outfit?

196

It seems like this generation is more into the look of the '60s rather than what the counterculture movement was all about. So, I say let’s change that.

Here are some simple things you should start doing, so you can wear your hippie garb and represent something much greater than "festival fashion."

1. The three Rs, or maybe four if you’re from "Broad City."

It is honestly the simplest thing you could possibly do and you should do! If this is child’s play for you and you are ready for the next challenge, then there is no shame in becoming a recycling Nazi. Be that annoying friend that stops everyone from recklessly poisoning the planet with his or her plastic water bottle – trust me, they’ll thank you for it later.

2. Let’s go thrift shopping.

I couldn’t have said it any better, Macklemore, but thrift shopping is not just cool because Macklemore said it is. Thrift shopping reduces so much impact on our environment. It significantly reduces CO2 emissions and saves precious resources that go into those tribal print leggings that you have on. Also, we should be thrift shopping for ethical reasons too. Personally, I have given up every single store that manufactures their clothes in sweatshops, where they pay the people just enough to survive, but not enough to escape. I am so sorry to break anyone’s heart, because I know it broke mine, but this unfortunately includes the beloved Forever 21. Maybe one day we will live in a world where all fashionable clothes are sustainably made. But until that day, I’ll be huntin’ and lookin’ for my come-up in Goodwill.

3. Say KALE no to GMOs.

Food is LIFE so why would you fill your body with chemicals and anything that comes in the form of a tube and goes by the name of Twinkie – what even is a Twinkie?! We should all be aware of what we are eating and doing. This means educating yourself on what you should be spending that pretty penny on.

First, you can buy fresh food from local farmers. This supports your local economy, while also guaranteeing fresher food that wasn't driven across the country (polluting the air along the way). You can buy local food usually at the grocery store nowadays, but the best place to find local food is at a local farmers market. Plus, you can get some prime Instagram pictures with your locally brewed coffee in hand.

If local food is not an option for you, choose Organics or food that is Non GMO. Choosing these alternatives are far better for your health, as well as the environment. If you do not know what a GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) is, then you should educate yo' self with this article http://www.non-gmoreport.com/whatisnon-gmo.php – because it is as scary as it sounds.

4. Get gnarly with a Nalgene.

You can tell a lot about a person by their Nalgene. You can tell that they like to do cool shit, by the looks of all of their stickers, and they obviously care about the environment. Reusable water bottles are a wondrous way to stop the commodification of water and also the plastic pollution that comes from bottled water. Did you know that Dasani Water does not come from some mystical spring in a land far away, but actually comes from the tap water of Georgia or some other state in the US? The only thing they may do to additionally treat this water is add salt and chemicals. You can stop this scam and the unnecessary pollution, simply by STOPPING yourself from buying bottled water and also by carrying your Nalgene everywhere.

5. Become self sufficient because it's sexy.

Why the hell do we buy EVERYTHING? It is so ridiculous that we no longer know how to make anything anymore and I’m positive that our ancestors would be ashamed of us. We buy everything either in a box or a bottle and have no idea where it is even coming from. Are you aware that most of the cosmetics and cleaning products that we use on a daily basis are full of dangerous chemicals and endocrine disruptors, which have been linked to cancer? Another fun fact is that once we wash these chemicals down the drain, they contaminate our water systems and negatively impact both humans and wildlife. Scary, right? Well, you can easily avoid this pollution by simply making your own cleaning and beauty products, which will also help you avoid massive medical bills in the future. Here's a link to my Pinterest Board of environmentally friendly recipes so you can create your own cleaning and beauty products, which I personally use in my every day life! https://www.pinterest.com/lauramoon256/be-green/

6. Choose hugs not nugs.

People always ask me why I am a vegetarian, so here are the facts:

"Over 50 percent of global human-caused greenhouse gases can be attributed to livestock and their by-products."

"Raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gas emissions than all the cars, trucks, trains, ships, and planes in the world combined."

"Clearing of forests and bush land for grazing and animal industries has resulted in habitat loss throughout the world, which is the major cause of wildlife becoming threatened, endangered or extinct."

See more at: https://sustainabletable.org.au/Hungryforinfo/Thee...

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm not saying that everyone needs to become a vegetarian or vegan, but if people just cut out meat for one day of the week, that would make a significant difference in the world.

7. Take a hike or a bike.

Simply because it cuts down your carbon footprint and you could also look as fly as her.

8. Choose love.

I hope, at some point in your lifetime, you have heard The Beatles song, "All You Need is Love," because this track essentially sums up the message that the Hippies were trying to spread – and I think it worked. In recent news, we have seen how the power of love and acceptance overpowers hate and oppression. If we chose to love and accept one another all of the time, I think that we can all agree that this world would be a much more peaceful and happy place.

9. Treat yo' self.

When I say treat yo' self, I really mean treat yo' self! How is this sustainable you ask? Well, let me give you a little scenario. Say that you need a new purse because the cheap one that you bought from H&M ripped due to the fact that you attempted to sneak too much candy into the movie theaters. DO NOT go and buy another shitty purse from H&M, you need to listen to Donna and Treat Yo' Self. This means buy yourself a purse that you know is a classic, will last for many many years, and will hold an obscene amount of candy. This will put less stress on the world's precious resources while also putting less stress on your wallet over time.

So next time you put on that flower crown, choose to represent love, peace, acceptance, environmental awareness, and social awareness – not just a fabulous fashion sense.