Winners Of The 2016 NFL Combine

Winners Of The 2016 NFL Combine

Here were the Top 10 guys who impressed in Indianapolis last week.

6
Winners Of The 2016 NFL Combine
NFL.com

Derrick Henry: Alabama

He may be a former Heisman Trophy Winner but multiple scouts believed that Alabama’s Derrick Henry might a bust at the next level due to his size and the amount of work put on him this past season in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Instead of taking the criticism and letting the scouts win, Henry decided to take it up a notch and show scouts what he was really was about.

Henry posted a 37 inch vertical jump and a 10.8 ft broad jump, both highest in the running back class. However, the biggest upside of Henry on Friday was his 4.54 40 time after weighing in at 247 pounds earlier that week. Scouts have already said he is a big winner in the runningback class, now he could find his name called sometime during the middle of the first round come April 28.

Carson Wentz: North Dakota State

Everyone expected for California’s Jared Goff to be the top quarterback in this year’s draft class but many scouts were in Indy to see young new-comer Carson Wentz from North Dakota St. make his appearance. Wentz began gaining hype talk just before the Senior Bowl last month down in Mobile, however many teams wanted to see if his day down south was just a fluke or the real deal.

Wentz posted the 3rd fastest 40 for quarterbacks with a 4.87 u/o time. He also looked calm and poised in the pocket during the deep ball and accuracy drills. Wentz also seemed to be comfortable around scouts and players from a higher level, showing that the media doesn’t have an effect on him and his playing style. While Goff might have been the top rated quarterback there, Carson Wentz solidified himself as a potential future franchise quarterback at the next level.

Shaq Lawson: Clemson

Shaq Lawson led the FBS last season with 25.5 tackles for losses but many scouts believed that his flexibility might keep him out of the top 10 in this year’s class. Lawson certainly solidified himself as a first round pick this weekend with a combination of excellent speed and agility to break off the line.

Lawson thrived at the three cone drill with a 4.21 time and also posted an admirable 40 at 4.70 u/o after weighing in at 270. While many still believe that Lawson will go some point in the first round, he most definitely solidified his first round status while probably picking up some extra cash along the way.

California Offensive Players

How California finished the season 7-5 with some of their offensive weapons truly astonishes me. While many were expected to see Jared Goff make his mark at the combine, few scouts probably expected to see his supporting cast outshine him in their own positional drills. Tight end Stephen Anderson posted solid numbers in the vertical and broad jump while Jared Goff solidified himself as this year’s top pocket-passing quarterback.

Meanwhile, running back Daniel Lasco was on of the top running backs on thursday, scoring in the top five at vertical and broad jump, the three cone drill, the 60 yard shuttle and the forty. However, the two biggest stars had to come from wide receivers Kenny Lawler and Trevor Davis. Lawler showed great use of his hands while Trevor Davis stole the show with his great usage of hands to tie in with 4.42 40 time. Overall, solid day to be from the sunny west coast up in cold Indy.

Tyler Boyd: Pitt

Many believed that Tyler Boyd could become the next top possession receiver in the NFL with a great day in Indianapolis. Few probably thought that he could be a legitimate number one receiver at the next level. Scouts will be going back and looking at his tape after the performance he put on in Indy on Saturday.

While nothing truly stuck out during the drills, Boyd shined with his use of hands and ability to adjust to the ball on the run. Multiple balls were thrown out of Boyd’s direction and yet, he was one of only three receiver to catch every single ball at every single drill. While not earning a first round grade yet, he certainly will have teams looking for another true threat receiver early on in day 2 give him a chance to prove he could be the next Randy Moss style receiver in the NFL.

Jason Spriggs: Indiana

Offensive tackle is always a need that a team can never have enough of. With several tackles solidifying themselves as first round players, this left little room for anyone else really to jump in the conversation. That however didn’t stop Indiana’s Jason Spriggs to pushing his way into possibly the top three offensive tackles at the next level.

Spriggs posted the fastest 40 time among offensive lineman (4.90 u/o) while also flashing quick flexibility during the three cone drill and other drills. Overall, Springs show great glance in the blocking drills, proving to scouts he could play either left or right tackle for the next decade at the next level. If Spriggs isn’t a first round pick after a solid combine, don’t expect him to be waiting long on day two to hear his name called.

TJ Green: Clemson

Earlier last week I said that a safety prospect needed to step up and prove they are worth taking in the first round. While many believed that Ohio St.’s Von Bell or Boise State’s Darian Thompson would be the talk of the draft, Clemson’s TJ Green was the most electrifying free safety to make his impact known on the field this week.

Green ran the fastest time for a safety at 4.34 while looking extremely sharp in his breaks out of positional drills. Team knew that Green was a hard-hitting free safety after being ejected for a hit in the ACC Championship this offseason, now they know he can catch as well. With free-safety it’s a mix of both speed and strength, Green has both of those down to the point and could possibly slip into the end of the first round now.

Darron Lee: Ohio State

Possibly the biggest winner this weekend from the 14 members of the Ohio State Buckeyes roster in Indy was their youngest player there. While only a redshirt sophomore and 20 years of age, Lee had scouts asking themselves who he could mimic at the next level.

Multiple sources; Ryan Shazier, former teammate and current Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker.

With a blazing 4.43 40 time, an 11’1 broad jump and 4.20 three-cone drill, Lee has bolstered his draft stock from mid-first to potential top 15 pick at the next level. With great speed and an excellent form tackler, Lee has shown promise to make a NFL very happy in the coming months.

William Jackson III: Houston

The Houston Cougars first season was a huge success under new coach Tom Herman, mainly due to his high-tempo offense led by Greg Ward Jr. However, what most people may not know is the Cougar defense was ranked in the top 10 in multiple categories last season. One of those key players was the only defensive player from Houston invited, cornerback William Jackson III.

Jackson kept the Cougars memorable season alive with a solid performance in the secondary drill. Jackson finished in the top 10 40 times with a 4.45 as well as a 10.25’ broad jump. Jackson also showed agility in his hips, an issue which many scouts thought his height would be a factor. While not the best cornerback of the day, Jackson certainly will be able to add his name to a first round grade in the very near future.

Will Fuller: Notre Dame

Without a doubt, the top winner of the 2016 NFL Combine was wide receiver Will Fuller from Notre Dame. Possibly the most in doubt player out in Indy, multiple scouts blasted Fuller for his inability to catch the ball and big in the clutch game for Notre Dame this season.

They might need to go back and look at the tape a bit more.

Fuller posted the 2nd fastest 40 time of all players in Indianapolis with a 4.33 u/o time while showing elite route running and a great use of his hands. With Fuller ranking in most scouts big board as a top five receiver and players such as Baylor’s Corey Coleman and Ole Miss’ LaQuon Treadwell skipping certain drills, Fuller certainly bolstered his stock and earn himself a couple of extra dollars with the most impressive day of all prospects in Indy.